Friday, July 30, 2010

Horse Ride with Japanese Students

Today my aunts, Renae, Peggy, and I helped out on the annual Sister's City Horseride today. The Sister's City Program is where two cities exchange a few select students to visit each other's country for a couple of weeks. So we had about 15 students from Iwamizawa, Japan going on a trailride with us. Our job was to make sure the kids stayed safe throughout the ride and had a fun time.

The two students that we were assigned: Yosuke (pronounced like Yoshkee with a long o sound) and Yui (not the correct spelling but how you actually say it.)

They look excited don't they? Most of them were really nervous and many asked for the smaller horses that were available.


Yui got Dolly - I taught her how to stop, turn and go. She caught on quickly.

We're off!


At this part of the ride back, Yosuke commented, "It is beautiful here."
He actually spoke pretty good English and we ended up having some good conversations, although we had to keep it basic with simple words he could understand. I learned that he was 15 years old and in the ninth grade. He said he liked basketball and "this" as he pointed to his horse. He has ridden only twice in his life, so I was impressed. Sadly, the ride was too short for him - he wanted to ride longer and said "I am sad." He told Renae a couple of times, "I am really enjoying this." Me too, Yosuke.


I was impressed to learn that the city mayor rode with us. We've never had any city official do that before. He was a lot of fun, a wonderful helper, and a great rider.

The Pocatello mayor.

Me and Yosuke! We had a great time talking, I am glad I took the time to get to know him.
I didn't realize how funny I was standing until I saw this photo. My horse was pulling me over while I was trying to stand still for the picture. I was leaning in to make sure I was "in the shot."

I don't know what it is with the Japanese students - every year they give the peace sign in every group photo. I wonder if they think it's some kind of American sign that they think we do or if that's how they do it in Japan - I don't know. Next year I'll try to remember to ask - at least I got Yoshkee to give a thumbs up instead in some of them. I wonder if he even knew what a thumbs up meant?

Yeah, thumbs up!

Afterwards we were all fed lunch. The Japanese girls were suspicious of the "red drink" (the punch.) I told them it was good and to try it. One girl put her cup under the nozzle but only let me give her a tiny bit. Once she sipped a little of it, she looked at me and said, "Good." So then the other girls took a little bit of it too. :) Cute.

We never got a photo with Peggy, she took off too soon. But here is me and Renae.

I love going on this annual horse ride and meeting the Japanese kids. They are always so nice, respectful and fun to listen to (even though I usually don't understand a word.)

I am really looking forward to next year's ride.

2 comments: