Thursday, July 7, 2011

To My Buddy - Letter From Iraq

When Jed writes home to me or our children, his letters are often full of tender and sentimental thoughts and desires.  Here is one he recently sent to our son, Connor:  

Hey Buddy  (referring to Connor Lewis),
I just wanted to write you a little note telling you that you are super missed by me.  I can't wait to see you and kick your trash in HORSE.


Seriously though, Connor, I love you so much.  I want you to know how proud I am of you and want to encourage you to continue to step up for mom and the family until I am home.  I know that it is hard but I really need you to be the man of the house while I am away.


A while back I asked you what you thought it meant to be a man.  Well let me share with you a few of my ideas.
A man is kind, gentle, strong when he needs to be, tender, loving, faithful, loyal to his God, true to his beliefs, and an example for good.

There are times when even the best of men have faltered in their pursuit for authentic manhood.  However, if we can only remember that being a man has to do with finding purpose and serving others, we can overcome any stumbling block that we may have.  Being a man is about following the truest, greatest example of manhood around.  The example of Jesus Christ.  He teaches us what it means to be a man built for others.  A man who serves people and loves them.  A man who stands up for those who are oppressed or weak and takes care of those in need.
My Grandma told me when I was a little boy that tenderness was expected from the strong.  Those words are so true and have guided me through my life.  As I have been a soldier, Marine, police officer, and all around warrior :), I have been reminded that I need to be gentle, kind and loving to other people.  A true warrior, Connor, is one who can stand up for what he believes in the face of adversity.  Someone who is loyal and kind to others.  It is hard to do sometimes.  Like when others say things about you behind your back or mistreat you.  It is really easy to fire back with our own insults or mean words, but the authentic man realizes that by doing so, others may be hurt and the situation will only get worse.  This is hard for me to remember but I am trying to do better as I have to face this kind of adversity everyday as a leader.

You are so cool.  So smart and super awesome.  I love you more than I can even tell you in words, Buddy.  You inspire me to be the best dad I can be and the best man that I can be.  Thank you for being my son.
I love you,
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment