Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Swirling Around the Dance Floor


I love watching my two older kids in their ballroom class.  It's so much fun to see them learning how to dance as a couple with another person. 


In today's world where school dances are riddled with kids who either don't know how to dance, just dance in a circle (that would be me) or do a whole lotta grinding with each other, I am glad to see my kids learning that there is a whole different world of dancing out there....ballroom dancing.  Ballroom teaches kids a respectful way of dancing together and there are so many varieties too: waltz, cha-cha, tango, swing, paso doble, and on and on.


Pic above: Aubrey and her partner, Isaiah, learning a waltz variety where you have to stay low in the knees because this waltz really glides and cruises.

Connor is in the class too...
...mostly because of his mother's wishes instead of his own.  But boys are always needed and I think it is good for him since this kind of dancing teaches him to be a gentleman and a leader all at the same time.  I say leader because in ballroom it is the boys who are in charge and are to lead, not the girls.  Boys have to learn how to give cues and direction to the girls so they know what to do.   

 Arica, their teacher, knows her stuff and has a wonderful way of teaching.

Changing up partners.


One of the best dates that I've ever had with Jed was when we attended a Friday date night ballroom class and learned the East Coast Swing.  We had an absolute ball!!!  I discovered after many years of marriage that Jed is a really good dancer and better yet, leads very well.  It made me wonder why we didn't do more of this sooner.  I look forward to more of those date nights with him when he gets home.

4 comments:

  1. Connor will appreciate this some day, most especially when he is trying to woo the lady of his dreams. this cat has two left feet, and the only move I know is the funky chicken. I wish someone had made me take dancing lessons in my youth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I keep telling Connor -that a guy who knows how to dance will be very attractive to the girls later on down the road. I hope one day he will thank me. Although, the funky chicken holds it's own weight in entertainment value too. That would be hilarious to see you do that sometime. You should post a video on your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh...that'll be a cold day! I'm not allowed to dance. I've also been banned from singing, even at Church. Poor me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so want my kiddos to do this when they get old enough!!

    ReplyDelete