Wednesday, October 13, 2010

R.I.P. Dolly and Asia

My Aunt Renae has had a rough few weeks - both of her pets have passed away recently.  For Renae, her animals are like family to her.  Dolly, her very old Palomino Arabian, finally had to be put down due to her deteriorating health just a few days ago.  I mention this on the blog because I know of many nieces and nephews out there, along with my own kids who learned how to ride on this horse and do not yet know about this event.  She will be dearly missed during the summers when we all descend to my mother's house for family get-to-togethers and Dolly isn't there to ride.  
 

So here's to a wonderful old lady who put up with a lot of young, poking, prodding, kicking riders who didn't know what the heck they were doing.  She did whatever she was asked to and bore it all with much patience and gentleness.
Even the littlest of riders were not scared to be on her.  Rigdon absolutely loved her and would throw a huge fit whenever he had to get off.


When it came to a good kid's horse, it didn't get much better than Dolly. 


  Me and Aubrey.


My Aunt Renae's dog, Asia, also passed away last week.  One interesting fact about Asia is that she was half coyote, but one of the gentlest, most devoted dogs out there.  She was hit by a car, probably because she couldn't hear it coming since she lost her hearing awhile back (she was also very old.)  Asia was our companion on every horse ride we went on, wherever the horses went, she went too.


I found this short, little clip from last summer that showed both Dolly and Asia.  I thought it would be fun to add this as well.

3 comments:

  1. Oh gosh Sad!! I was seriously going to see if my mom could get her this weekend for Karter to ride. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't put a price tag on a horse like Dolly. She sounds like our old gelding Blue Boy. Any child is safe on his back.

    Sorry that your family has lost the grand old lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad! I knew about Asia but I didn't know about Dolly! The boys will be really bummed!

    ReplyDelete