Saturday, May 7, 2011

Military Spouse Appreciation Day


Yesterday was Military Spouse Appreciation Day, which Ronald Regan started way back during his presidency.

(Troop Picnic prior to deployment)

It's still weird for me to think I fit into this category.  If it 

wasn't something that involved me personally, it would've passed as another ordinary day.  Although I am nothing special, I am very proud to be able to associate with such an incredible group of people. 

Getting to know other military families and their deployed family members only makes me appreciate our service men and women even more.  I get to see with my own eyes what goes on first hand.  The struggles of maintaining home life by yourself, the loneliness, the frustration, the sadness, the fear of losing your loved one - it's all part of the experience.  However, these wives are also positive, capable, strong, don't complain, and make the best out of the circumstances they find themselves in.  I find great strength in being around these women, they have become examples for me to look to.


(Me and my military girlfriends in New Orleans to see our husbands during a four day leave before they were shipped off to Iraq.)


Besides, I have learned a few things and seen a little bit of silver lining because of this experience:

1. I've learned how hard it is for me to accept help from others.  So many people have stepped in when I couldn't do something myself.  It's pretty humbling but I am so grateful for the help I've received.

2. The Honey-Do List is really starting to add up.  Sorry honey, I've realized how much I don't know about home repair.  Sometimes you just need a man around the house for his brains and his muscles!
3. After several phone calls, I finally learned what type of oil the lawn mower takes.  Only to realize too late that if you put too much in, it'll flood the air filter and then won't start.  I was pretty proud of myself up until then.  Oops.  Thanks, neighbor, for fixing that for me.  Lesson learned. 
4.  There's a lot less laundry to do and yet I still get way behind. 
5.  One nice thing - the pressure is off when it comes to dinner, the kids are totally fine with P&J sandwiches, cereal, mac n' cheese for the last meal of the day.  These wouldn't particularly fly if Jed was home.  He needs something a little more substantial.
6.  How much a dad's influence is felt in the home.  After Jed left, it was all the more apparent how important he and his role as father is in our home.  My kids need their dad and no matter how hard I try, I'll never be able to fill that hole in their life.

(Military Family Day right before deployment.  Jed had been out of town training for over a month, so this was the first time we'd seen him in awhile.)

7.  Life still moves on and you become stronger because of it.
8.  Finally, life feels a whole lot more complete when you have someone to share it with.  Very rarely is Jed around to celebrate my birthday or our marriage anniversary, he's usually out of town training or in this instance, deployed on the other side of the world.  I can tell you this much, I appreciate Jed so much more for his love and companionship when we are together.

In his proclamation issued May 5, 2011 President Obama said:


"Military spouses serve as steady and supportive partners to the heroes in uniform who protect and defend our great Nation every day. Across America and around the world, military spouses serve our country in their own special way, helping families and friends through the stress of a deployment, caring for our wounded warriors, and supporting each other when a loved one has made the ultimate sacrifice.

"Our service members and their families seldom ask for support or recognition. They carry out their duties to family and country with the quiet courage and strength that has always exemplified the American spirit. On Military Spouse Appreciation Day, we have an opportunity to not only honor the husbands and wives of our service members, but also thank them by actively expressing our gratitude in both word and deed.

"When a member of our Armed Forces is deployed, an entire family is called to serve. The readiness of our troops depends on the readiness of our military families, as millions of parents, children, and loved ones sacrifice as well.  We can show our appreciation in countless ways, from offering to help with household maintenance and childcare to encouraging the community involvement and career development of military spouses.

"It is through our actions that we show our commitment to our service members and their spouses. By embracing military families, we demonstrate our partnership in the defense of our freedom and the security of the United States.

President Barack Obama

(Even though I didn't vote for our current president and don't agree with him on many issues, I still appreciate his words and continued mission of protecting our country.)

No comments:

Post a Comment