Saturday, March 20, 2010

Twilight Freak

Ok, ok, I have something to confess - I have become a Twilight freak. For any of you who have been hiding in a cave over the last couple of years, Twilight is a books series about a love story between an ordinary girl and a vampire. Now I know that I might get teased by revealing my fetish out in the open like this, but I couldn't contain my excitement with the release of the second movie, New Moon. Today is the first day you can get it, so I just had to go buy it. Woo Hoo!!!!!!!
While I was buying my copy, there was also a lady who looked like she was in her sixties and another older lady buying New Moon too. See, I'm not way off base with this - it's not just teenage girls who enjoy it, it's women in all age groups, and guys too, I might add.


How my Twilight fetish began:
At first I had no interest in ever reading the Twilight series and never saw the two movies when they first came out. It wasn't until this last New Years Eve that I became exposed to the world of vampires and werewolves. A few days prior, I was visiting a friend that I visit teach and somehow the subject came up. She was telling me how good the Twilight series was and that she had all of the books and the movie. I had heard this before from some of my other friends, and I hadn't been convinced before. My friend then said that I could borrow the movie and the first book if I wanted to. So I thought, what the heck, why not? It would give me and Jed something to do for New Years Eve.

So when Jed found out what we were doing, he said, "You've got to be kidding, I just got done making fun of one of my friends because he had watched that movie with his wife. It's a total chick flick about vampires!" You see, Jed had also heard a lot about Twilight and considered it a girly romance book with way too much hype.

In the end he was willing to watch it - but soon into the movie he ended up just reading a magazine. It was just too sappy for him, but I liked the movie. I thought it was fun and entertaining but I hadn't made the transition into "freakhood" quite yet.

A couple of days later, Jed left for a 3 week training and so I figured with all of the extra alone time that I would have I might as well read the Twilight book too. I started reading the book and couldn't put it down. I finished the book in just two days and was thirsting for more. I hadn't taken the time to read anything just for fun in years and now I was completely hooked on Twilight. Within a weeks' time I had read the whole series of books - I would read all day in my room and late into the night.

So then I went and bought the movie and watched it over and over again. Now that I had read the book, the movie was much more fun to watch because I knew the complete story behind it.
Jed is getting a total kick out of watching me with all of my enthusiasm for Twilight. I guess it's because he's never seen me get really excited about anything in this kind of way. I've surprised myself, too. Anything in pop culture typically doesn't interest me to such an extent. I guess I'm a sucker for love stories, and adding vampires and werewolves just made it that much more interesting.
Aubrey also can't believe I'm into Twilight. She had started reading the first book long before I was ever aware of Twilight because many of the girls in her school were talking about it. She stopped reading the book because of the fact that it was a love story and it turned her off completely. (I told her one day she'll change her mind about love stories...she doesn't believe me.) She refuses to watch the movie and gives me a harder time about it all than Jed does.

Go Team Jacob!!!
What's funny is that even though Jed rolls his eyes over it all, he's the one who bought me a Jacob shirt, the movie soundtrack Cd's (for my birthday), and went and saw Twilight: New Moon with me (even though he kept snickering throughout portions of it.) I probably never would have gone out and bought any of this stuff myself, but Jed says he is "supporting" me. When he first gave me the shirt I asked him if he was mocking me. Although I may never wear it out in public, it's fun to have just the same.
I can't wait for the third Twilight movie, Eclipse!!!!! June 30, 2010

4 comments:

  1. Oh, you're too funny! I really loved the books too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mindy - I had no idea!!!
    We are not totally head over heels with Twilight but Nichole and I have read the books - she has watched the movie. Go team Jacob!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! go Team Jacob! Freaks...all of ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are too funny! When we got back from our trip last week I was going to call you and see if you wanted to go see it in the cheap theater the next day (since you had expressed SOME interest in seeing it :) ) but wouldn't you know it, they pulled it and switched movies. Probably because it has been playing for a while and has now come out on dvd. Maybe when the 3rd one comes out in June if Jed isn't up to seeing it, he, he he. Glad you got to see it. :)

    ReplyDelete