Thursday, August 19, 2010

Jackson Hole Here We Come!

Like I mentioned in the post prior to this, Jed has been taking special, individual time with everyone in the family before his upcoming deployment.

Yesterday, it was my turn. Yes, that's right, one day to spend time alone with my hubby. No kids, no housework, no daily pressures to get everything done...just he and I....well, almost alone. The plan was to take a motorcycle trip to Jackson Hole, Wyoming with one of Jed's fellow army/police buddies, Tony, and his wife, Julie. (Tony will also be going off to Iraq with Jed.)

The road trip was beautiful...we drove by lakes, rivers, forests, mountains, canyons, lush green valleys, and fields of golden wheat ready to be harvested. It doesn't get any better than this when it comes to watching the scenery go by. I guess that's why Jed's loves riding his motorcycle - feeling the wind, smelling the fresh air, seeing what's around you, it's gives you a sense of freedom that is hard to feel anywhere else...and it's fun!

To be honest, it's been years since I've ridden with Jed on his motorcycle. Mostly because I would rather go by car/van. In a vehicle I can sit back and read a book or go to sleep if I'm feeling groggy, have a conversation, not to mention my hair stays nice because I don't have to wear a helmet.

I was styling my hair the morning of and Jed walked into the bathroom and said "You're feeling optimistic today." I had to think about what he was refering to ....oh yeah, my hair. I guess it was pointless to style it since my head would be covered with a helmet for the majority of the day.

But this time I was eager to go by motorcycle and just enjoy the ride with him.

Welcome to Jackson Hole, Wyoming!


Tony and Julie - our riding companions. They were a lot of fun to be with.

We stopped and ate at Bubba's BBQ Restaurant where we stuffed ourselves with food.


These two...grumbling over having their picture taken. No surprise here, they are two peas in a pod.
Me and Julie - we don't mind taking a happy picture. What mom wouldn't smile having a day off from their regular, daily routine at home? This is like vacation for us!

We split up with Tony and his wife after we ate because they were heading to Yellowstone National Park for the night. We were originally supposed to go with them but with our kids' school starting the next day, we needed to be home that night. Jed and I just hung out in Jackson for the afternoon. We spent our time just walking around and enjoying the numerous fine art and photography galleries.


I love visiting Jackson - it's unique western feel and beautiful, quaint shops make it a fun place to visit.
We enjoyed some ice cream and walked around some more.

After a couple of hours in the heat and my feet starting to ache from all of the walking around, we headed home.

Can't leave without getting a picture by one of the iconic antler arches located in the main square. The arches are made of antlers that were picked up off the ground from the National Elk Reserve area right there in Jackson Hole. During the winter, the antlers fall off of the elk and then they grow new ones in the spring. In other words, "no animals were hurt during the making of this project." (I'm mimicking the movie credits where they state that kinds of stuff - get it?)

What a great place to spend the day with my sweetheart.

No comments:

Post a Comment