Wednesday, August 22, 2012

My Grandmother's Funeral

My grandmother, Marilyn Hansen, suffered a massive stroke on August 7, 2012. 
She hadn't been feeling well that day and was violently throwing up. She decided to take a nap and that's when a main artery in her brain burst and her head began to fill with blood. The bleeding and swelling was so severe that the doctors told us that she wasn't going to survive it and there was nothing they could do.  It was a sudden and shocking turn of events for all of us since my grandma was healthy despite a few normal ailments for her age.
 
She waited to pass away until all her family members could be there to say goodbye.  As far as my grandmother knew, she wasn't feeling well, went to sleep, and never woke up.  Not even aware of what hit her, she was in a self-induced coma until she died on August 9,  2012.
 
Her viewing was held on Aug. 13th and the funeral took place next day.
 
Grandma liked yellow flowers.
 
My Grandpa, Glenn Hansen - this was all so emotional and hard for him.  To lose your one companion who you've spent the majority of your life with has got to be incredibly difficult.

 
My father, Carl, and grandpa, Glenn.

My uncles - Brian and Kevin and Aunt Karilyn.

My sisters, Jodi and Penni.

Rigdon hanging out with his grandma.  :)



Connor with his Great-grandpa, Glenn.

The funeral was well done.  My sister, Penni, and my cousin, Kim, gave the life sketch together.  All of the grandchildren and great-grandchildren sang "I Wonder When He Comes Again."  A family friend, Bruce Cook, spoke.  Bishop Kohler ended with the closing remarks.

The Pallbearers -

My brother, Cory, brother-in-law, Todd, and my hubby, Jed, were all included.

As sad as funerals are, it brings the whole family together again.  There were sooo many family members that I hadn't seen in years, even decades.

My sister, Penni, with my mom and dad, Carl and Judy.



Gravesight - Goshen Cemetary:



The immediate family.


Grandma's brother giving the dedicatory prayer for the gravesight.



Grandkids and their families - we've grown large in numbers.  :)

Glenn with his daughter, Karilyn.




 
Marilyn's children (from left):  Carl, Rhonda, Karilyn, Kevin, and Brian with their father, Glenn.

Another angle:

My grandmother is buried right next to her parents:

My brother, Cory's family.

Our little family.  :)

Ronin and Rigdon with their cousin, Briggs.






Love you, Grandma!  You will be missed by so many.  Thank you for being the first one to teach me how to paint!  You've left your own little legacy with me, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment