Saturday, August 4, 2012

Connor's First Scout Camp - Treasure Mountain

Hey.  This is Connor.  I'm writing about my first year going to Scout Camp at Treasure Mountain in Island Park.

 When I got to scout camp, we started humping our stuff up to our campsite.  I had invited my friend, Zack, to come with me to scout camp.  We were camp buddies the whole time.  We got our tent and stuff setup by ourselves.  My dad is our Scoutmaster so he was there too.  Later, my dad had to go to a leader's meeting so Zack and I put up my dad's tent.
 
The first thing we had to do was pass a swim test at the lake that afternoon. For our test we had to swim seventy-five yards.  Four-fifths of the way was with the power stroke then the last part with a resting stroke.  I passed!  After that we went back to camp and relaxed.  When we got to bed it rained during the night (and all the other nights too.) 

We had flag ceremonies every morning and evening.  Every troop was given a name, ours was Red Cloud.  We did a lot of songs and chants.

During the rest of the week,  I worked on my canoeing, kayaking, leather work, and first aid merit badges.  My favorite one was first aid.

Here we were doing the "Battle of the Tetons" where we try to swamp the other teams' canoes.

I really like this scout hat my dad bought for me.

Later in the week we hiked Table Rock, which is located in the Grand Teton mountain range on the Wyoming side. It was a hard hike!  One of our leaders, Mr. Moulton, had a great time teasing us on the way up and back.  We stopped and took a break every now and then.




It was an awesome view when we finally reached the top.  Below: me and my dad with the Grand Tetons in the background.


Our scout troop.



Altogether, the hike took 7 hours. Before we went home home my dad said he was proud of us. All in all it was a fun week and I am glad that my dad is my leader and that my friend, Zack, came to camp with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment